The Freshwater Research Centre respects your right to privacy and therefore aim to ensure that we comply with the legal requirements of the POPI Act which regulates how we collect, process, store, share and destroy any personal information which you have provided to us.
The Personal Information processed by us is not routed/transferred to a third country or international organisation. Where we refer to “personal information”, it means “personal information” as defined in the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (“POPI“), and “personal data” as per the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (“the GDPR“). Personal information includes any information about a person that can be used to identify a person directly or indirectly. It includes information like a name, an identification number, location information, an online identifier or one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural, or social identity of that person.
The personal information we collect
We collect, amongst others, the following personal information:
- Personal details, such as your name, email address or telephone number.
- Billing information, such as relevant payment information and VAT registration number; and
- Legally required information, which includes any additional information that the law requires from us to verify your identity.
- Using cookies, which will mainly be used to identify visitors that return to our website. You can prevent us from doing this through a setting on your browser. Cookies only store information from your browser and cannot access data on your computer.
Use of your personal information
We may use your personal information for any legitimate business purposes relating to our services and/or business activities. Some of the purposes for which we use your personal information include:
- Responding to your queries posted on our website or emailed to us.
- Providing you with our services.
- Referring you to other service providers with your consent.
- Improving our website and services by analysing certain information collected, including cookies and other related information.
- Sending you information (in the form of our newsletter) and inviting you to events; and/or complying with our regulatory or other obligations.
- We will only share your personal information for purposes of providing services to you or any other legitimate business purpose relating to our business activities, including but not limited to, the protection of our or your rights, complaints, marketing, or enforcing any agreement between us.
- Where the law requires us to do so, we may also share your personal information with third-party service providers, agents, contractors, employees, law enforcement agencies or business affiliates.
You can unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time which will result in us no longer marketing to you. We include a link in every marketing communication allowing you to unsubscribe from marketing communication and you can email us to ask us to remove you from our mailing list.
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected. We protect and manage the personal information that we hold about you by using electronic and computer safeguards like firewalls, data encryption, and physical and electronic access control to our buildings. We only authorise access to personal information to those employees who require it to fulfil their designated responsibilities.
You have the right at any time to:
1. Rectify the Personal Information collected by us.
2. Object to the processing of Personal Information (subject to legislation).
3. Request the return or destruction of Personal Information (subject to legislation).
4. Lodge a complaint with the company.
Links on our website
We may include links to other third-party websites which do not fall under our supervision. We cannot accept any responsibility for your privacy or the content of these websites, but we display these links to make it easier for you to find information about specific subjects.
Right to object
You may, on reasonable grounds, object to us using your personal information. If you object, we will stop using your personal information, except if the law allows its use.
Lodging a complaint
If you believe we are using your personal information unlawfully, please let us know on firstname.lastname@example.org
Quality and access to your personal information
We want to ensure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct any personal information that you think is inaccurate or request us to remove your information by sending an email to email@example.com. You have the right to request us to provide you with personal information that we hold about you. You must contact us directly to do so or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retention of Information
We will report any security breach to the Information Regulator and the individuals or companies involved. If you want to report any concerns about our privacy practices or if you suspect any breach regarding your personal information, kindly notify us by sending an email to email@example.com.